Saturday, May 3, 2008

Sleep Walking

I am not sure about sleep walking - as I don't think I've ever done it. Yet it is very common with my kids and it usually involves urination. I know it sounds disgusting - but I really don't understand the entire process.

My first encounter with sleepwalking came with my son - it was a few years ago and he walked into my bedroom, into the hallway near the bathroom and closet, looked at himself in the mirror for a few moments, turned then proceeded to relieve himself on the wall near the cabinets. I didn't know what to do, as I kept saying his name over and over again and he just wasn't "there."

He has done this a few times, getting up and using his closet for the toilet, as well as standing up in his own bed. My daughter started it too - the first time I found her in her closet, the second time wandering around the family room and last night she was sitting at her desk, thinking she was sitting on the toilet.

I don't get it. I don't understand the power of the mind and what causes one to walk in their sleep in the first place. I am not upset with the kids and they are often amused by the stories told, yet, it is one of those things that makes me glad I invested in a steam cleaner a few years ago!

When I go to sleep - I tend to stay in bed -not wander about the house. Yet I do have some very fantastic dreams and the reality sometimes is frightening. The power of the mind is something I will never understand - but it does make me wonder what we are capable of. For example, the stories of men or women that murder their spouses or significant others while they sleep walk...is it the activity of the mind? When I have a dream that is so realistic, am I actually walking about?

Crazy, I know, but just makes for an interesting conversation.....
I guess I have some searching to do....

Until next time, sweet dreams.

No comments: