Sunday, July 11, 2010

We just blew by the 4th

Yep. I said it in the previous post - summer is slipping away and goodness it is. We had a fantastic Fourth of July in mid-Michigan with perfect weather. Great food and wonderful family - kids and babies - it was wonderful. So - not wanting to let go of those moments we headed back "north" for a few more days and the kids swam their hearts out.

Back to reality, I checked my email this morning and had a message that brought me to tears. A former co-worker, no a friend, passed away on Tuesday leaving behind a wife and children and some grandkids too. I never knew my mother's parents and it has left a void in my life - a part which I cannot touch or connect with and I wonder how many grandkids in his family will wonder what grandpa was like. It saddens me so. It also makes me thankful I was able to make amends and move beyond the past and look to the future. How important it truly is to be able to forgive. I hope no one wishes otherwise in this case - he was such a good man.

So - from death I look to the promise of life. I follow a blog online of a woman that is journaling her emotional journey toward motherhood. I keep her in my thoughts and prayers each day as I know how much she really, really, really wants to become a mother. I never wanted to be a mom, that was until I met my sister's daughters and I couldn't imagine not having kids of my own.

The kids fill my life - with much joy and frustration - but I would not change it for anything. I love my kids and love their imagination and sense of adventure. I love hearing about my son's first "love" and his passion to do great things and I love to see my daughter jump down the stairs and sing her sassy songs. My chef and artist - both want jobs where they find fulfillment in what they can give to others. I know that feeling and as I embark on my adventure of serving others I only hope I can do my job - beyond well - I want to excel and make a difference. I want to make a change.

On that note - I will close with a thought about the man that passed away. He touched many, many lives and truly made lives change. He made a difference and he made me feel welcome and special. I will miss you my friend, I suppose God needs someone to help him run his show.

No comments: