Thursday, April 17, 2008

Which Way?

Do you ever get the feeling there are people in this world that know exactly where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing? How on earth do they know?
I have an idea of where I'm supposed to be and I have an idea of how I'm supposed to get there but I'm not sure I'm ready to accept the long road and dedication it would take to get there. Thing is, I want to make exactly sure it is what I'm destined to do....before I actually begin the journey.

I think back to when I was a child. When I was five I drew a picture and wrote "I'm going to be a nurse when I grow up." Then I found a book I received when I was eight and I indicated I was going to be a bus driver. I am convinced I chose those professions based upon the fact they wore hats. Yet, just the other day I was on the bus and the driver was not wearing a hat. Nurses...well nurses don't either.

Come to think of it, what professions do wear hats? I'm talking hats here...not helmets!

I'm thinking...and I'm thinking hard....seems I can only come up with professional baseball players, professional cowboys and fast food workers...

None of those options strikes me as being a winning option....and while the world needs each and every person that performs those tasks I would not fit in and I would quickly be looking for somewhere else to hang my hat.

So. What is a recent graduate to do? I have options....and the one I particularly like is the one that has me embracing the very moments if life as if they are my last. There is much I want to do and much I want to accomplish...I just have to know if I spend time enjoying life, if life will pass by - the life in which I'm destined to lead.

I called this blog harbor lights for a reason...I have faith in a higher being, faith I will not be led astray...but I also am one that does not have such a solid foundation in faith that I believe ther is no chance I'll run aground. It isn't the fear of hitting rocks and rough patches along the way...I'm afraid of sinking...

2 comments:

Summer said...

You totally have the ability to wear beautiful and eccentric hats no matter what the occasion. Perhaps you should just shift focus to the feet... can you deal with the issue of nursing shoes? ;-)

So, does this long road mean you're applying to a Ph.D. program for next fall? I think I am! We should do it together... we're both moms, after all, so our experiences are going to be unique from a typical Ph.D. applicant. Maybe we should ask Dee Ann for tips?

You're brilliant and you'll do awesome no matter what you pick. :) Though I still think it's weird to go for another undergrad after you've earned the title "Master" hehehe.

Jen said...

Summer,
As I go back and forth, back and forth 5 years for a BSN and 2 years for the MHA only leads me to think 6 yrs for a PhD is the way to go....

now what field do I want a PhD. in?
Mike Payne summed it up best - I have to know what I want from a program before I start one...

GREEAATTTT - feel like I'm 18 again.

So - I think I'll take the summer study for the GRE and then see what happens.

Thanks for checking out the blog! I needed an outlet - this is an excellent place to air thoughts....

Thanks for telling me that I'm brilliant...that coming from a Tech grad...you are the brilliant one (oh wait...maybe not....you went to school where the ground is frozen 50 weeks out of the year is that brilliant?) :)

I think you are awesome...and the thought of going through a PhD. program with someone is sure a good thought...we could support each other...what are you going for? Did you say Anthropology? If that is the case...count me out. I got a D in undergrad.