Sunday, April 20, 2008

Why can't they sleep?

My kids I love them - but I think they have so much going on in their brains at bed time they cannot sleep. My son has been downstairs several times now - just wants to talk but he has nothing to say...I believe his brain is running at high speeds and he has a difficult time just closing his eyes and letting his dreams take him away.

I, on the other hand, do not have that trouble - why if my eyes are even the remote bit heavy, I can head to the other room, lay down and fall fast asleep. I love the opportunity to rest - it means I've had a full day. I initially sat down tonight to find articles for a paper I need to work on for an upcoming conference. Papers should be attempted by May 15th....working with a few other folks so we'll see how fast we can crank something out. I'm excited about the topic - dealing with creativity in the classroom....something I think is lacking on all levels.

So - I ended up getting sidetracked. Started looking for articles then found myself drifting to job hunting. I have a ton of skills, I just need to learn how to market my skills better. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning to see if I can have someone else help me figure out my life. That is another thing...I can sleep and also admit when I need guidance! Harbor Lights! See - all I have to do is turn and face the lighthouse! So, what I'm thinking, is I need to take a career assessment test and then figure what my strengths and weaknesses are...

Keeping focused might be one...I also printed out a job posting for a University position nearby and I think it would be a perfect opportunity to blend my new experience with a familiar University so I am going to dust off the social network book and see who I might know that can help me establish the correct connections....

All is going well - the weekend went so fast. Last night was amazingly fun as I headed out on the town with a few new and old friends. I haven't been to a club in years - last night was an eye opener for me - as I've been so far removed from that "scene" for a while now - glad too! It was like a big pond with sharks and bottom feeders...each had their place in the pond and really made for the enjoyment of the evening. I enjoyed watching all my "single" friends navigate the room as well and delighted in the fact I didn't care either way what was going on....I was having fun.

So - I should actually get back to what I'm "supposed" to be doing....which is not really anything but I feel better having a purpose and a task. Gotta get a job, so I don't have to take those undergrad classes in the fall....

No comments: