Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?

Today, I went to the movies. It was the perfect day - raining and chilly and both kids in school. So, I treated myself to a selfish afternoon of spending time with my best gal pal. We went to lunch and watched a movie at the discount cinema, called "Where in the World Is Osama Bin Laden."

I must have been living in my own little world not to know about this movie, when or where it was released, but as I scrolled through the show time listings and saw the title, I only imagined it would be a spoof - a Monty Python and The Holy Grail type of show. Curious enough I clicked on the movie trailer link and knew instantly I wanted to see the movie. So I made plans.

The show made me think and it put a different face upon this "war on terror." In my capstone class we learned to be critical of media - as everything can be "created" - and yes, I understand - the picture we want to paint, can be painted - a little manipulation with editing tools and we can create just about any message we want. So, I too have to consider the "creation" of this movie - but there were several things that struck me...issues the film brought out and something I believe worth discussing here.

First, as a parent I want the best for my children. I live in America and I realize we truly are the land of opportunity. We have everything. I send my children to private school, as it is my right to send my children to a school where they are welcome to openly pray and celebrate their Catholic Christian beliefs. I send them for the challenging education and accountability of the staff. What I want for my children is no different than families in the Middle East. The film captures interviews with common folks - who like myself, want the best for their children. Just as I fear my children don't get mixed in with the gangs, drugs & violence - they don't want their children being seduced by power, money and paradise.

Second, many people mentioned they like Americans, they just don't like the American government...I struggle with this idea, as I understand the reasoning, but isn't our government for the people and by the people? Are we all not ultimately responsible for the actions of our elected officials as we ourselves put them in office to represent our best interest?

In addition, the people in Afghanistan feel the American government should hold their government accountable for the money that has been sent for rebuilding...they ask "Where are the roads? Where are the wells?" Are we funneling money without really knowing what is happening with it? We could say the same for our own country - using the city of New Orleans as an example. "Where did all the money go?"

Finally, there was also the opportunity to discuss the notion that Islamic extremists prey upon young people from the poorest areas - enticing them to join their cause, with the promise of money and paradise - the promise of a better life. Who doesn't want that? If I am struggling and there is no opportunity where I currently reside and there is no hope for education - and I am given the opportunity to do something 'great' - I am drawn in. Where else is this happening? The streets of our major cities - the gangs "recruiting" and preying....I also think of our military....young kids, from rural towns and villages, perhaps no hope of attending college because the money just isn't there...and the recruiter offers them $10,000.00 to enlist... I know the immediate thought is to dismiss my point and say it is different, but the premise is the same - a promise of something greater - in return for an ultimate sacrifice. Call it what you want - but we are doing the same thing - we just aren't attaching the "religious" aspect to it...it is more about "values."

I enjoyed the movie - I enjoyed getting a glimpse into the lives of everyday people - the film introduced the opportunity to see this "war on terror" in a different light - it is not a case of "us" and "them" or Christian and Muslim, it is a case of humans, wanting the best for their families.


If you get the chance, see it - or at least rent it....it will make you think.

No comments: