Friday, July 4, 2008

what am I thinking????

You know - I'm turning this blog into something quite ordinary and boring - I've always prided myself on being able to really look into issues, offer a different viewpoint and support my views with evidence, yet since I've been out of school I've been terribly lazy! I write about my kids and where we've been, why am I not discussing things with more passion?

Well, I've had a few days in the car to think about many things, politics and religion mostly - things your aren't supposed to bring up at family reunions and such, but when you aren't able to discuss the foundations of our country what is left? Sports? Movie Stars? The Weather?

Well, if I were to discuss sports, I'd bring up women's softball. Why on earth do they wear shorts? If I were to discuss movie stars I'd want to ask why star power automatically gives you credibility. If I talked about the weather, I'd casually mention today hit 113 degrees F and the hot weather must have a relationship with the price of gas as entering California the gas jumped an entire dollar ($5.29 a gal.).

So. If I could discuss politics, I'd want to pick the brains of those with Homeland Security. Did you know there is a form for those who are not American citizens to fill out - the first question on it asks point blank "Are you a terrorist? Yes or No." Are you kidding me? The only thing we can figure is the government has to ask for legal reasons - hell, the only way Al Capone served any time was because he was cited for tax evasion. Go figure...but it is something to think about - and I also have to consider the notion - there are those that say "I wasn't asked if I was a _____? I put blank because you can put in your own words such as "I wasn't asked if I was a theif" says the man who runs the cash register or "I wasn't asked if I was a sex offender" says the teacher in an 8th grade classroom. I think you get the picture.

Yet, what is the perception of the TSA when they hand someone a form with the leading question "Are you a terrorist?" Are we allowed to ask someone if they are in this country illegally? Even if it is legal...haven't we found it may not be politically correct? Just something to make you think...

Maybe I'll bring up more later - but just think about what I've said for now. I'll make a pledge to write more compelling posts for the future. Have a wonderful 4th of July and remember why this day is so important and what it really means to be an American.

1 comment:

Summer said...

All set for UMich in the fall? I've decided to go with another masters in Comm from GVSU. Easy, cheap, quick:) And, I can get a good thesis done as the start of a book. Are you presenting at the Post Bush conference? I'm thinking about it.